The following works speak to specific aspects we are focusing on in this course and are intended for further study.
Sexology, Medical Science, Legal History
- Bland, Lucy, and Laura Doan, eds. Sexology Uncesored: The Documents of Sexual Science. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1998.
- Rosario, Vernon A. (ed.). Science and Homosexualities. New York and London: Routledge, 1997.
- Upchurch, Charles. Before Wilde: Sex between Men in Britain’s Age of Reform. Berkeley et al.: University of California Press, 2009.
- Vicinus, Martha. “’They Wonder to Which Sex I Belong’: The Historical Roots of the Modern Lesbian Identity.” Feminist Studies 18.3 (1992): 467-97.
Lesbian Literature (Literary Criticism and Biography)
- Dickinson, Lovat. Radclyffe Hall at the Well of Loneliness: A Sapphic Chronicle. New York: Scribner, 1975.
- Doan, Laura, and Jay Prosser, eds. Palatable Poison: Critical Perspectives on The Well of Loneliness. New York: Columbia University Press, 2001.
- Green, Laura. “Hall of Mirrors: Radclyffe Hall’s ‘The Well of Loneliness’ and Modernist Fictions of Identity.” Twentieth Century Literature 49.3 (2003): 277-97.
- Halberstam, Judith [Jack]. “’A Writer of Misfits’: John Radclyffe Hall and the Discourse of Inversion.” Chapter 3 in Female Masculinity. Durham: Duke University Press, 1998. 75-110.
- Newton, Esther. “The Mythic Mannish Lesbian: Radclyffe Hall and the New Woman.” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 9 (1984): 557-75.
- Sedgwick, Eve Kosofsky. Epistemology of the Closet. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1990.
- Serano, Julia. Whipping Girl
- Benshoff, Harry, and Sean Griffin, eds. Queer Cinema: The Film Reader. New York and London: Routledge, 2004.
- Dyer, Richard, and Julianne Pidduck. Now You See It: Studies on Lesbian and Gay Film. 2nd ed. London and New York: Routledge, 2003.
- Rich, B Ruby. New Queer Cinema: The Director’s Cut. Durham and London: Duke University Press, 2013.
- Russo, Vito. The Celluloid Closet: Homosexuality in the Movies